Monday, March 4, 2013

And Still More Lessons.....


Today another story about supporting one another as we practice, grow, and stretch our wings.  This story is about young loon named Rudy.

More “Musings From the End of The Dock.”

Papa Knows Best

It’s a gorgeous morning and I peer out into the bay hoping that Rudy and mama will be floating nearby.  It seems that Rudy is spending more and more time in the larger body of the lake, quite busy learning all that little loons need to learn before leaving this home for one that’s warmer with open waters in the winter.

I set out in my little red boat and find Rudy and mama near the west end of the lake, fishing just outside of the cattails.  I put down the anchor a safe distance away so I can watch them and yet all the while hope that they will make their way closer to me.  I had barely gotten settled when I noticed that Rudy had caught a glimpse of me and began very slowly making his way toward me while mama swam with her head under water, fishing unaware.  He was hesitant at first swimming toward me then turning back and then there was a moment when it seemed that his curiosity got the best of him and throwing all caution to the wind, he made a bee-line in my direction. 

It was then that mama’s head emerged from the water and seeing Rudy swimming confidently toward this stranger, she began swimming after him and let out a low call, just enough to catch his attention.  Rudy turned around as if to reassure mama that he knew what he was doing, then turned back toward me.  Mama again let out a low coo and was in close pursuit.  Just as Rudy was about 20 feet from the boat, mama maneuvered her way around in front of him which left him no choice but to change course.  She used her body as a safety barrier to guide Rudy away.  But Rudy was not to be deterred.  He would swim away for a bit and convinced that mama had let her guard down, he would promptly swim back toward me only to find that he was under mama’s radar and she had the upper wing.

Just when I thought Rudy might give up and go back to fishing, I heard papa call from down the lake and caught a faint glimpse of him moving towards us.  Rudy heard this too and he suddenly became quite animated and began swimming very quickly toward papa who was still a great distance away.  Mama seemed to be relieved to know that reinforcements were on the way.

They met toward the middle of the lake, some distance from me.  Rudy swam joyful circles around papa and then there was a “changing of the guards” so to speak as papa and Rudy began swimming toward me and mama swam off in the distance toward the other end of the lake.  I noticed Rudy turning to look back at mama a few times and when it seemed that she was far enough away, he began swimming very quickly in my direction, papa meandering behind him.  This time there were no soft coos warning him to turn back, no mama circling in front of him using her body as a barrier.  Papa stayed a safe distance behind keeping a watchful eye but clearly not at all concerned.  Rudy seemed to know that papa would allow him this experience and that he would be safe no matter what.  He came directly in front of me within ten feet of the boat and looked me over quite thoroughly.  He would swim a little distance away and then circle back, at times diving under the water then reappearing a little too close at which time he would call to papa and papa would come to him, reassure him and then go back to watching from a distance.  Having satisfied his curiosity, Rudy swam happily around me for quite some time, at times peering at me, at times preening and at other times just going about the business of being his little loon self.
 
 
 

I drank it all in and watched them for a long while and smiled as I left them.  I'm often amazed by how closely nature mirrors life for us.  I could see myself in each of them.

                       Be Curious….Be Courageous….Stretch....

                    Buckets of Love,
                           Peder and the Gnomes

No comments:

Post a Comment