Saturday, March 2, 2013

Lessons From the Phoebes


Good Morning!

It seems like a very long time since I’ve written.  I’ve been pondering deeply the past few days and find that it’s good from time to time to find a quiet space to reflect.  So I’ve asked my very good friend if she would share some of her nature writings with us in the days to come.  Her reflections are from a compilation of stories she calls, “Musings from the End of the Dock.” 

There are so many beautiful and important lessons we can learn being in the midst of nature .

Enjoy!

Love,
Peder and the Gnomes




Lessons from the Phoebes                                                                       June 11, 2012 
 

 

Today I had an interesting experience with a pair of Phoebe’s (a very lovely, gentle little bird) who have made their nest under the front of my camper.  They’ve allowed me to peek at times at their three young ones.  This morning I noticed one of the little ones on the ground near my flowers.  The parents flew around him calling frantically.  It was a very cold, windy day and the little bird’s entire body seemed to be shivering and a large grackle (a rascally bird) appeared intent on harming the little one.  I watched for a short time as the parents grew increasingly concerned.  A friend who was visiting at the time said she thought we should just “let nature take its course,” however I had a very strong sense that it was important to find a way to help.  I finally asked the mama if it was ok if I tried to return the little bird to the nest and sensing that it was ok, gently gathered the little bird in my hands.  The mama and papa found a place to perch as this was happening.  They became quiet and were calm as they looked on.  I talked to them and the little bird all the while.  As I went to place the little bird in the nest, the other babies became startled and suddenly there were three little birds scattered at my feet. 

For years my friend has called me Lucy (after Lucille Ball, in part because she thinks I’m funny in a comedy of errors sort of way) and I call her Martha because she worries about many things.   Seeing the little birds at my feet, “Martha” promptly exclaimed, “Lucy, that’s a fine mess you’ve gotten into!”  I looked at the mama Phoebe who was now scolding me quite loudly and told her not to worry, that I would return all of her babies to the nest. I must admit that as I was saying it to her, I was really trying to reassure myself. 
The two littlest ones seemed curious as I approached them and were quite content to be gathered up into my warm hands.  It was beautiful to hold them and I lingered, savoring the moment and then tucked them into their nest.  Mama became very quiet as she looked on.  I stepped back to make sure they would stay in the nest and they just peeked out at me, wide eyed and clearly happy to be nestled safely at home.  The third little bird had by now stretched her little wings enough to propel her about 10 feet away.  Each time I tried to cup my hands around her she moved beyond my grasp.  Mama followed along as I tried to keep up with the little one and papa watched from a distance as his little one fluttered~ wings  outstretched while her legs moved awkwardly across the grass.  I continued to talk to them and interestingly, they seemed remarkably calm.  Finally the little bird hopped far under a nearby bush and I was unable to reach her.  I tried to coax her out but to no avail.  I explained this to mama and papa and then mama flew back to check on the two chicks in the nest and papa stayed with the little one.  I waited a short time and feeling there was nothing more I could do, I left papa to watch over his young one.  I wasn’t quite sure whether I’d done the right thing or not. 

In the afternoon as I was leaving for a few days to visit a friend, I took a few minutes to look for the little bird.  She was no longer where I last saw her and mama and papa were sitting contently by the nest.  I had the distinct feeling they had in some way guided her back there.  So my friend and I are having a discussion: if a little one leaves or falls out of the nest before it’s ready to fly, it is possible that they would in some way be guided back to the nest for a little extra “growing” time until their wings are fully formed?   Hmmmm…

This lead me to reflect on my own life and those times when I’ve moved out of the warmth and security of a safe place (inadvertently or by choice) and how the path of learning has unfolded before me – sometimes in very challenging ways that caused me to sit frozen and afraid to move.  At other times, I would sit still with a sense of wonder, like a wide-eyed little bird taking in everything and moving slowly here and there, guided by a great and loving force within.  Sometimes, I’ve been guided back to that comfortable space for a while longer until I felt strong enough to venture out on my own or was nudged out of the nest by a Source beyond myself. And yet other times I've moved along awkwardly, with a sense of determination. 

The most beautiful times have been when I’ve fallen out of that place of security and landed in an unfamiliar place, and looking around me suddenly realizing that it isn’t so much about the falling “out of” that’s important but more so what I’m falling “into.”  Thank goodness for wings and the great mystery of life...
 
   
© 2012 D Morris
Story and images may not be reproduced in any form without written permission from the author.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment